Level 3 Certificate in Community Orcharding
Crossfields Institute Level 3 Certificate in Community Orcharding
This qualification is designed for people who want to develop the understanding, knowledge and skills to be able to care for fruit and nut trees, build biodiverse habitats and contribute to a community orchard project. This Level 3 Certificate consists of 4 units: Units 1 and 2 are compulsory and then the learner can choose from either unit 3 or 4. Learners who wish to take all 4 units are welcome to do so, but the certificate can be awarded on completion of 3 units.
This Crossfields Institute Level 3 Certificate in Community Orcharding has the following objectives:
- Prepares learners to progress to a qualification at a higher level
- Prepares learners for employment
- Gives learners personal growth and engagement in learning
More specifically it has been designed to provide learners with:
- An understanding of holistic community orchard management through the promotion of biodiversity
- A thorough understanding of how to encourage healthy, productive trees
- The practical skills to engage in planting, pruning, grafting and soil enhancement
- Plant identification skills and familiarity and understanding of botanical terminology
- An appreciation of the historical, social and economic yields of orchards
- An understanding of the social dynamics of group decision making in community orchard projects
This Level 3 Certificate consists of 4 units: Units 1 and 2 are compulsory and then the learner can choose from either unit 3 or 4. Learners who wish to take all 4 units are welcome to do so, but the certificate can be awarded on completion of 3 units.
Learners must be at least 16 years of age.
Guided learning hours
Total qualification time
Practice based, blended learning and independent study
How long does it take?
6 months minimum part-time recommended. The programme should be completed in a maximum of 18 months following registration.